Thursday, February 14, 2008

Mad Dogs & Englishmen

Why is it so difficult to find a copy of Umeki Miyoshi's "Japanese Farewell Song"? You know, the one that goes, "The time has come for us to say sayonara", followed by predictably Oriental (in the Said sense) tones? You know, it was in "M*A*S*H"! Soulseek fails me, songerize as well, and youtube just gives me anime like whoaaa. All I can find is Martin Denny's crap-ass exotica xylophone version.
Up late studying for my Sociology of Literature course, which, given the extensive attention paid to how ridiculously difficult it is to be a published author, and how absolutely mindshittingly insane it would be to suppose that one could support oneself, might be called the Sociology of Watching Your Pathetic Dreams Die. Whatever, whatEVER. By definition, any creative field is going to attract more people than can support themselves in it. Also, most of those people are probably assholes. By being someone who can actually talk to people and be relatively pleasant, I'm already way ahead of, say, Joseph Conrad. But I don't think I'm enough on my own. I've decided to push the friendly, go-nuts aspects of my personality. I've decided to become...the Eugene Hütz of literature.

Man, who is gonna say no to ME?

No comments: