Monday, January 28, 2008

TUBEDUMP

NOTE: If you're looking at this on Facebook, do yourself a favor and click the link to the original post- embedded videos never show up, and that's basically all this is.

Tonight, watched some experimental film in preparation for my Canadian cinema class. The sad part was, we started with some really awesome Norman McLaren shorts:





But then we watched some contemporary experimental film, which I found...less interesting. Especially a really long "zombie" film that made the heavyhanded connection that, dude, like, businessmen, capitalists and consumers are TOTALLY just like ZOMBIES, a conclusion that every other zombie movie since Dawn of the Dead apparently DIDN'T GET. Also, presenting a homeless character as a shambling, drooling zombie tends to obviate any sort of revolutionary message you might be trying to present, since the presentation of homeless persons as such is a specifically reactionary trope YOU ASSES.
Sigh, I'm going to the angrydome.

While searching for this sequence which I can't embed (yes I know King Crimson I hate myself too), I happened upon this, which is a pretty good (and academically credentialed!) examination of some of the stuff I really liked about Children of Men:

P.S. Zizek sounds like he's eating a juicy peach at all times.
Finally, Spike Jonze's intro for the new "Fully Flared" skate video:

Which I wish wasn't so EXPLODEY, because Jonze's intro for the "Yeah Right!" skate video is an amazing piece of art that highlights the physicality of skating in a really amazing way:

As Prof. Thain said today, in an oddly candid moment, "Too many good movies to watch, too little time."

No comments: